Under North Carolina law, it is a felony violation to fraudulently request a certified copy of a vital record or obtain, possess, sell, furnish, use, or attempt to use for any purpose of deception a North Carolina birth certificate.

Rockingham County Birth Records 

1913-Present Day

Learn how to Request a Copy.
The only exception to the time span listed above is if a delayed birth certificate was issued. See Delayed Births for more information.


Adoption Records

Contact North Carolina Vital Records for more information.

Births Not Occurring In North Carolina

If you were born inside the United States:


Birth certificates are maintained by each state for the people who are born in that state. Contact the county or state vital records in the state where you were born to get a copy of your birth certificate.


If you were born outside the United States:


Contact the U.S. Department of State for more information. 



To Add The Father's Name To The Child's Birth Certificate, If Not Married

The Affidavit of Parentage can be processed at the Rockingham County Public Health Department prior to the child's eighteenth (18th) birthday. You may contact the Rockingham County Public Health Department at (336) 342-8215 to make an appointment and for more information. 

Note: If a father's name is already shown on the birth certificate, a court order may be necessary.


The process referred to as a Legitimation Proceeding is when the child's mother and child's father were married after the birth of their child and the parties now wish to give the child the father's last name and add the father's necessary information to the birth certificate. Please contact our office for further assistance and to set up an appointment.


No Birth Certificate

Contact a staff member for assistance and to set up an appointment. Due to changing criteria and the complexity of certain records, we recommend you call our office before bringing in proofs that may be insufficient. Visit our section on Fees for the cost and our section on Delayed Births for more information.


Errors On A Birth Certificate

Contact a staff member for assistance to confirm the error and whether or not we will be able to assist you. If the error is one in which the change will need to be made by a Court Order or other means, a phone call will save you time. If the error is such that we can assist you, you will need to schedule an appointment.


     Rockingham County North Carolina
    Contact Us
    Rockingham County Government
    371 NC Hwy 65
    Reidsville NC 27320
    Phone: 336.342.8100
    Fax: 336.342.8105